The winners of the Spicers Sculpture Award 2015 were announced at a Gala Launch on 23rd September at Spicers Tamarind Retreat, Maleny
The judges were Jude Turner; Christine Ballinger; Kathleen Hunt
FIRST PRIZE: ‘wherever you go there you are’ by Corrie Wright, Maleny
SECOND PRIZE: ‘Climbing the Dragons Spine’ by Hew Chee Fong, Beerwah
SPECIAL Judges PRIZE: ‘Mammothus’, by Elli Schlunke this prize was added at the discretion of the judges who felt the very innovative use of recycled materials was worthy of a ‘special’ prize
Commendations were also awarded: (in no order of merit)
Images and artists statements can be viewed here
all works are for sale and can be purchased online here
FOR YOUR INTEREST … Conditions of entry are listed below…
Sculpture on the Edge, Spicers Sculpture Award: open to any Artists.
- Sculptures will be selected on the basis that they are suitable for outdoor installation. Spicers site is suitable for large and small works, but artists must consider the size and installation so that it is not easily moved.
- Artists are encouraged to visit Spicers Tamarind Retreat, 88 Obi Lane South Maleny, for consideration of the site. This can help in designing site specific work, and to envisage possible locations for pieces.
- Consideration should also be given to public interaction and environmental weather factors.
- Arts Connect Inc & Spicers Tamarind Retreat reserves the right to determine the most appropriate method and location for displaying 3D works, and to refuse to display any works deemed inappropriate or unsafe.
- Artists should take great care when preparing their submission so that the concept of the work, if not already constructed is clear and shows mock ups from several angles.
- Entries must be the original, unaided work of the entrant, completed within the two years prior to the entry closing date.
- No third party or commercial gallery may enter a work on behalf of an artist.
- No work submitted shall have been entered into the Sculpture on the Edge, Spicers Sculpture Award in any previous year.
- Entries representing partnerships between individuals will be accepted as one entry and on the understanding that each partner’s contribution is deemed equal.
- All works entered into the prize must be available for display for the entire duration of the exhibition. Artists pre-selected for Sculpture on the Edge, Spicers Sculpture Award will allow their works to be reproduced by print and electronic media in the advertising and promotion for the exhibition.
- Artists retain copyright of their work at all times
- All expenses incurred in the submission of the entry are the responsibility of the applicant.
- A complete entry must include a maximum of two (2) different art works for consideration by the pre-selection panel.
- Artists both successful and unsuccessful in there submission will be notified by Friday 29 May
Pre-selection / Judging
All entries submitted will be presented for review to a pre-selection panel, from which 50 works will be selected.
The pre-selection panel and judge’s decisions are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
All risk for the artwork remains with the artist. Tamarind is a private, safe location, but does not have 23 hr security personnel.
For non members, public liability insurance certificate must be provided with your entry.
Public Liability is provided for active Arts Connect members. You may choose to join before you enter.
Sales of Artworks
All works will be offered for sale and a commission of 25% will be deducted from the sale price of all work sold. The commission is calculated from the sale price.
Arts Connect Inc is the sole owner of the information collected from the entry forms and any other information submitted, and will not sell, share or rent the information to others except for the sole purpose of advertising or promoting Sculpture on the Edge, Spicers Sculpture Award.
Delivery, Freight and Install
Freight of the pre-selected works to and from the exhibition will be the responsibility of the artist. Larger works requiring special access or equipment to install must liaise and confirm details with Arts Connect Inc at least 2 weeks prior to the installation date.
Installation of the works will be the responsibility of the artist and a site map of locations will be provided and negotiated with the artists once selection has occurred.
If artist are not available to install the works themselves, they must provide a representative to install the artwork.