This user has not added any information to their profile yet.
In recent years I’ve returned to my core practice of drawing, painting and printmaking which can be accommodated in a smaller studio space.
Enjoying weekly untutored life drawing sessions, botanical art, and exploring new media in both painting and printmaking.
As well as direct observation, I’m also exploring the world of memories using a variety of painting, printmaking and drawing media.
ART TRAINING & QUALIFICATIONS
- 1989 James Cook University, Townsville Master of Education
- 1979/82 Victorian College Arts, Melbourne. BA Visual Arts
- 1971-1978 EastAus/Australian Flying Arts School, Qld
- 1964 Claremont Teachers College, WA & 1963-65 James St Technical College, Art Cert, Perth
SOLO EXHIBITIONS 1981-2000 exhibited under the name Marie BIGGINS
- 2003 'Livestock Exchanges – Challenging Assumptions'. Installation/sound interactive (Marie Farr Biggins): Rockhamton Art Gallery
- 1993 Installation: 'The Carousel' toured after the Sept–Nov 1992 QAG show) to The Noosa Regional Gallery, Ipswich City Council Regional Art Gallery, The Gladstone Art Gallery and Museum.
- 1992 Installation: 'The Carousel' Gallery 14 - Queensland Art Gallery Project Space, Brisbane The Installation: 'The Carousel' then travelled to: Noosa Regional Gallery, Ipswich Regional Gallery, Gladstone Regional Gallery over period 6 mths in the 1993
- 1990 Installation: 'Turning the Circle Within' Institute of Modern Art, Brisbane & Lyndall Milani's 'Evolution'
- 1990 Installation: 'Turning the Circle Within' Walter Reid Centre, Rockhampton
- 1987 Installations: 'Reflections', 'Passages of Life', 'Homage to Georgia O'Keefe' combined with Performance by Backyard Theatre, Walter Reid Centre, Rockhampton
- 1983 Gallery UpTop, Painting – Rockhampton
- 1981 Gallery UpTop, Painting and Etchings – Rockhampton
SELECTED JOINT EXHIBITIONS & COLLABORATIONS In addition, exhibited in numerous group shows, not listed, going back to early 1980s.
- 1998 The Hutchins Art Prize, Tasmania
- 1995 VOLT New Visions New Performance 'Sports Scores' with Ralph Tyrrell (musician/composer), Action Archery, Albion
- 1995 'Pseudo', Brisbane Fringe Festival, Princess Theatre, Woolloongabba, Brisbane. Video installation 'Mind the Gap'
- 1991 'Materiality: A Human Scale' 6th National Ceramics Conference, McWhirters Artspace, Brisbane
- 1988 Dejeuner sur le Plancher: Six Queensland Artists, Walter Reid Gallery, Rockhampton
- 1983 ' Four Queensland Painters', Galerie Baguette, Brisbane
- 1982 'From the Inside Out' Women & the Arts Festival, Sydney
ART TEACHING & ADMIN ROLES
- 1993-1994 Chairperson, Management Committee Queensland Art Workers Alliance Inc.
- 1992-93 Member Artform Assessment Panel – Visual Arts, Crafts & Design, Arts Division, Dept Premier, Qld
- 1990 Seminar Co-ordinator for 'Artists go Troppo' Regional Qld Arts & the exhibition 'Opening the Umbrella' Walter Reid Centre, Rockhampton
- 1989-90 Co-ordinator School Cultural Studies at Rockhampton College TAFE
- 1985 Member Art Syllabus Sub-committee of Arts Advisory Committee Board Secondary School Studies, Qld Dept. Education
- 1983-1990 Art District Panel Member Board Secondary School Studies
- 1977-78/1980-81/1983-88 - Art Teacher: St Ursula's College, Yeppoon
- 1968 Emerald, Qld. Adult Education (evening & weekend workshops)
- 1966 Art Teacher: Esperance High School & Adult Education (evening & weekend classes)
- 1965 Art Teacher: Melville Senior High School, Perth, WA
AWARDS / CONFERENCES/ WORKSHOP PRESENTATIONS
- 2001 Arts Qld grant to attend Curatorial Lab, Metro Arts, Brisbane (Marie Farr)
- 1995 Arts Qld scholarship to attend 'Where Worlds Converge'. Week long workshops at 5th Design Winter School, Centre for Design, RMIT, Melb.
- 1995 ANAT (Australian Network for Art & Technology), Summer School, QIT, Brisbane
- 1995 'Eye-phonics' attended workshops (sound/performance with Kathy Acker/Ellen Zweig) Metro Arts, Brisbane
- 1995 Presented a workshop: Sound Art: 'Dig the Digital', AIAE (Aust Institute Art Ed), Cairns
- 1994 Awarded Arts Qld Creative Development Grant: Electronic Arts - six month's research Europe & USA: included: Ars Electronica, Linz Austria; ZKM (Centre for Art and Media), Jeffery Shaw, Karlsruhe/Germany; Arts & Technology Conference, Orlando, Florida; SRL (Survival Research Lab), San Francisco
- 1993 RADF, Project Grant Video documentary on fellow artist & educator, Ros Beasley, Emu Park, Qld.
- 1991 Arts Qld Travel Bursary and Invitation to attend: CAMA (Council of Australian Museums Association) Conference, Perth WA with Dr Margriet Bonnin and fellow artist, Judy Watson. After the CAMA conference, we had a private viewing of Janet Holmes à Court and Kerry Stokes collections.
- Australian Network for Art and Technology Award to attend ANAT Summer School, Brisbane.
- 1989 Travel Award for 2hr workshop: 'Lateral Thinking & Creative Problem Solving' at 'Art & Design Education Practice & Practise' AIAE, INSEA, SEAPAC Congress, Darwin, NT.
- 1979 Victorian College Arts Painting Prize - National Gallery Victoria Trustees Award VCA, Melbourne.
- 1993 'The Disappointing Latitude' IMA/AFAS (curator Marie Biggins), Walter Reid Centre, Rockhampton & IMA, Brisbane
- 1993 'Framing Experience' Shell Art Award/AFAS (curator Marie Biggins) Flew to all AFAS Qld regional Tour Centres: Central (13 centres) & North-West (8 centres) and self-drove the Southern Tour (7 centres) to select works for the Brisbane Award Exhibition and supervise hanging the work of 63 selected artists at Boulder Lodge Concepts, Brisbane. Also curated separate exhibitions for artists in the Regional Centres: Glenmorgan, (Central & Southern Tour), Mt Isa, (North-West Tour).
WEB DESIGN BUSINESS – ELECTRIC OCEAN
- 1995 Established Electric Ocean a freelance design business, Brisbane. Created websites for AFAS, Brisbane City Council: Boondall Wetlands, West End Story.
- 1995 Eyeline Magazine freelance graphic design
QAGOMA VOLUNTEER GUIDE
2018-2019 Volunteer guide at Queensland Art Gallery and Gallery of Modern Art - QAGOMA, Brisbane.
Live and work at Flaxton on the Blackall Range, Qld. My work has come full circle - back to painting/drawing and printmaking