In this day and age you might wonder why people volunteer.
I can’t speak for others, but after volunteering over the last 15 years, I have realised the immense benefits of volunteering for worthy organisations. It’s not for everyone, and sometimes it’s hard work at the expense of your own goals. But it’s especially vital today, as people seem to have less time and are busier in their lives. Yet we must continue to find time for others.
For me it’s about recognising a need, and realising I have the skills set or passion that might contribute to satisfying that need.
For example I was asked to take on coordinating Sculpture On The Edge because Arts Connect Inc. needed someone to put their hand up. For two years I undertook this role as a volunteer because it was needed, but this is what I got out of it:
- New to Maleny I met so many wonderful artists through SOTE, some I call good friends.
- I got to experience the “behind the scenes” of how artists approach their work and in some cases helped them reach their goals.
- I created good relationships with local businesses especially Spicers Tamarind, and make great connections with industry partners.
- We sold artwork and awarded prize money for artists, as well as gaining exposure for their work.
- Personally I worked alongside a great group of committee members, all of us volunteers. We have the same mindset which binds us.
- There is a big sense of achievement at seeing the event run successfully and improve a little each year through changes I implemented.
- I have learnt so much through my mistakes and failures, which enables me to aim higher and do better in other roles.
As we enter 2020, Arts Connect Inc. is progressing our organisation into a new era. To do that we need the help of volunteers. You may not want to be part of a committee, or you may actually want to organise an event. Either way I encourage you to get involved and help us out. We are creative, driven, and a lot of fun.
If you think you can help in any way, please call me on 0413 150 009. Or message the word ‘volunteer’… I’m notorious for not answering my phone, but you text that word, and I’ll call you back in a flash!!!